The book that I’m writing is focused on myths that we have about teens and social media. I’m trying to find some good quotes from news media that perpetuate these myths and I’m hoping that you might be able to help. The more salacious and outraged, the better. I’m looking for articles in mainstream venues that talk about all of the reasons in which social media is bad, bad, bad. What are your favorite news articles that reinforce these widespread beliefs?
- Myth #1: The digital is separate from the “real” world.
- Myth #2: Social media makes kids deceptive.
- Myth #3: Social media is addictive.
- Myth #4: Kids don’t care about privacy.
- Myth #5: The Internet is a dangerous, dangerous place.
- Myth #6: There’s nothing educational about social media.
- Myth #7: Kids are digital natives.
- Myth #8: The Internet is the great equalizer.
Before you ask… These are indeed the rough ideas that my book is organized around. I’m not settled on any of the phrasings so if you’ve got feedback, I’m all ears. I’m not yet ready to publicly describe what’s in each chapter but the structure is pretty simple. I start with a widespread belief and then I use my data to complicate it, highlighting both why we have these myths and why they are focused on the wrong issues. Hopefully it’ll be a fun read for everyone. <grin>